For the cake
300ml sunflower oil
180g maple syrup
6 medium eggs
250g fine semolina
2 tsp baking powder
zest of 2 lemons
60ml Belvoir Raspberry & Lemon Cordial
For the filling
300ml double cream
edible flowers to decorate
for the drizzle icing
75g icing sugar
2tbsp Belvoir Raspberry & Lemon Cordial
A squeeze of lemon juice
1. Preheat the oven to 180C/fan 160c/Gas Mark 4.
2. Grease and base line 3 x 18cm loose bottomed sandwich tins.
3. Either with an electric hand whisk or in a stand mixer, whisk together the sunflower oil, maple syrup and eggs until they are light and fluffy (this takes about 5 mins). Stir in the other ingredients and divide between the cake tins. Bake for about 20 minutes.
4. Warm the cordial in a pan. When the cakes come out of the oven, prick them all over with a skewer and spoon the syrup over and let it absorb. Let the cakes cook completely.
5. Mix the icing sugar with enough of the cordial until you have a thick drizzle icing. Set aside.
6. Lightly whip the cream until it is just holding its shape.
7. Put one of the cakes on a cake plate, spoon over ½ the cream and scatter with raspberries, top with a second sponge and spread the remaining cream over the top and scatter with raspberries. Top with the final sponge.
8. Drizzle the icing all over the top sponge and decorate with edible flowers and a few more raspberries.
Recipe courtsey of Belvoir