175g Unsalted butter
175g Light muscovado sugar
175g Golden syrup
175g Black treacle
175g Self raising white flour
175g Self raising wholemeal flour
4 tsp Belvoir Ginger cordial
50g Crystallised ginger, chopped
300ml Whole milk
For the drizzle:
150g icing sugar
½ tsp Orange extract
1 tbsp Belvoir Ginger Cordial
40ml warm water
1. Preheat your oven to 160°C/Gas 3 and line a 20cm square baking tin with baking parchment.
2. In a saucepan gently melt the butter, sugar, golden syrup & treacle together, then set aside to cool slightly.
3. Sift the flours into a bowl and add the crystallised ginger. Pour in the melted butter sugar mixture and stir until combined. Add the Ginger cordial, eggs and milk and beat together.
4. Pour the mixture into the prepared tin and level with a spatula. Bake in the oven for 45-50 minutes until springy to the touch and a skewer comes out clean. Leave to cool completely.
5. For the drizzle; sift the icing sugar into a bowl then add the orange extract and ginger cordial, then mix in enough of the water to make a pourable icing that’s not too runny.
6. Pour this over the cooled cake. Leave for about 30 minutes for the icing to set, then cut into squares and serve.
Recipe courtesy of Belvoir