For the Brown Sauce
400g can chopped tomatoes
100g pitted medjool dates, chopped
30g dark brown sugar
1 tbsp malt vinegar
½ tbsp black treacle
3 tbsp tamarind paste
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp English mustard powder
For the Croquettes
200g potato, diced
190g black pudding, skinned and crumbled
3 salad onions, finely sliced
½ tbsp English mustard
25g plain flour, seasoned
2 medium eggs, beaten
500ml groundnut oil
1. For the sauce, place all the ingredients into a small saucepan, heat and bring to a simmer, then cook gently for 15 minutes until slightly thickened. Remove from the heat and leave to cool, then blend with a stick blender to form a smooth sauce.
2. To make the croquettes, place the diced potato in a pan, cover with water and bring to the boil. Simmer for 10 minutes or until the potato is tender. Drain and mash, and allow to cool.
3. In a large bowl, mix the cold mashed potato, black pudding, salad onions and mustard together until combined. Season well. Divide the mixture equally into 8 and then shape into cylinders with your hand.
4. Dip each croquette first into the seasoned flour, then the beaten
egg and finally the breadcrumbs. Cover with clingfilm and place in the fridge for 30 minutes until ready to cook.
5. Heat the oil in a deep saucepan and gently fry the croquettes in batches for 4 minutes, turning occasionally, until golden and crisp. Serve with the brown sauce.
Recipe and image courtesy of Waitrose & Partners