2 tbsp olive oil
500g diced casserole beef steak cut into 2.5cm pieces
½ teaspoon English mustard
1 large onion
1 large celery stick
2 cloves garlic
300g mushrooms sliced
400g tinned white beans drained (optional)
400g canned chopped tomatoes
1 bay leaf
3 thyme stems trimmed
3 rosemary stems trimmed
½ tablespoon Worcestershire sauce (optional)
300ml Knorr Organic Beef Liquid Stock
1 1/2 kg floury potato
125ml semi skimmed milk
1 tbsp Flora Buttery
Peppercorns to create ghostly potato pals’ eyes
1. Cut all the vegetables into even chunks and finely chop the garlic
2. Toss the meat in the flour, mustard and a little salt and pepper
3. Pour half the olive oil into a pan and when hot add meat and fry, stirring until it’s nice and brown. Remove the meat and set aside.
4. Add remaining oil to the pan with all the vegetables and the garlic and herbs and fry for 5 minutes
5. Return the meat and add the tomatoes and Knorr stock to the pan
6. Bring to the boil, then reduce to a slow simmer, cover and cook for 1 ½ hours or until the meat is tender
7. While the stew is simmering, bring a large saucepan of water to the boil. Add the potatoes and boil for about 15 mins or until tender. Drain well and return to pan on a very low heat for 2 mins to completely dry
8. Heat the milk and butter in a small pan, add in the potatoes. Remove pan from heat, then mash potatoes using an electric hand whisk or potato masher.
- When the stew is ready, pipe the potato onto the dish to create the ghostly potato pals. Piping in a steady, round motion will help your pals stand up right and look fantastic.
- Using peppercorns, carefully push into the ‘ghost’ to create their ghoulish eyes!
Recipe courtesy of Knorr