1. Line a 20cm/8” round deep, loose bottom cake tin with parchment paper and pre-heat the oven.
2. Put the dates and water into a saucepan and bring slowly to the boil.
3. Remove from the heat, stir in the bicarbonate of soda and leave to cool.
4. Break the eggs into a mixing bowl, add the sugar and beat together until light and airy.
5. Mix in the oil followed by the self-raising flour.
6. Stir in the date mixture and walnuts.
7. Tip the mixture into your prepared cake tin and smooth the top.
8. Bake for 55-60 minutes.
9. Allow to cool in the tin for 20 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack.
10. Sieve a little icing sugar over the cold cake before serving.
Recipe courtesy of Doves Farm