For the base:
2 cups of ground almonds
3 tablespoons of almond butter
1 tablespoon of melted coconut oil
6 tablespoons of maple syrup or agave nectar
For the pumpkin caramel:
1/2 cup of maple syrup
1/3 cup of runny peanut butter (almond butter will work as well)
2 tablespoon of coconut oil
3 tablespoons unsweetened pumpkin or butternut squash puree
1 to 2 teaspoon of mixed spices (depending how much flavour you want to add to the caramel)
A pinch of sea salt
For the Chocolate coating
2 bars of MIA dark chocolate – melted
¼ cup of roughly chopped pecans
1. Line a brownies tin with some parchment paper.
2. Start by making the base: simply mix all the ingredients into a bowl until you have a sticky kind of cookie dough consistency. Transfer the dough to the tin and with your fingers press it down and spread it across the tin as evenly as you can.
3. Place the tin in the freezer while you are making the pumpkin caramel.
4. In a small pan whisk together the maple syrup, peanut butter, coconut oil, pumpkin puree, mixed spices, and sea salt over medium-low heat until completely smooth and silky. About 2-3 minutes.
5. Remove the pan from the heat and let it cool for about 10 minutes.
6. Pour the caramel on top the base and shake the tin around to make sure it gets evenly spread. Place the tin back in the freezer to set for at least 1 hour.
7. Remove the tin from the freezer and slices it into bites. With a fork dip them into the melted chocolate and sprinkle on top the chopped pecans. Place the bars into a tray covered with baking paper. Place them back into the freezer to set for around ½ hour. Enjoy!
8. Store any leftover in the freezer for few weeks.
Recipe courtesy of MIA and created by Elisa Rossi – www.happyskinkitchen.com