Ken Hom's Stir-fried Cucumbers with Hot Spices
You will need
- 750g cucumbers (about 2)
- 2 tsp Lee Kum Kee Pure Sesame Oil
- 1 tbsp Lee Kum Kee Black Bean Garlic Sauce
- 2 tsp Lee Kum Kee Chiu Chow Chilli Oil
- 1 tbsp groundnut or vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp spring onions, finely sliced
- 1 tsp salt (1 for marinating, 2 for cooking)
- ½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tsp sugar
- 120ml water
- For garnish - chopped coriander
- Peel the cucumbers, slice them in half lengthways then use a teaspoon to remove the seeds. Cut the cucumbers into 2cm dice then sprinkle them with the salt and mix well.
- Put the mixture into a colander and let it sit for 20 minutes to drain. This rids the cucumber of any excess liquid. When the cucumber cubes have drained, rinse them in water and then blot them dry with kitchen paper.
- Heat a wok or large frying-pan over high heat until it is hot. Add the oil, and when it is very hot and slightly smoking, add the ginger and spring onions and stir-fry for about 30 seconds.
- Add the cucumbers, Black Bean Garlic Sauce, Chiu Chow Chilli Oil, salt, pepper and sugar and stir for another 30 seconds until they are well coated with the spices and flavourings.
- Add the water and continue to stir-fry over a high heat for 3-4 minutes until most of the water has evaporated and the cucumbers are cooked. At this point, add the Pure Sesame Oil and garnish with coriander. Serve immediately.
Lychee & lemongrass debonair
White chocolate mousse with spiced raspberries
Stuffed roasted tomatoes with goats' cheese and mini mozzarella