Do you feel you struggle to get the best results from your sleep?
Well, making some small adjustments could be the solution, as sleep expert for Bensons for Beds, Stephanie Romiszewski , explains - and it's sure to improve your slumber!
1. If you're not feeling sleepy, there's nothing wrong with not going straight to bed. Achieving quality is far more important than quantity, and, besides, you can rely on that eventually coming.
2. A good way to improve your sleep routine will be by waking up at the same time each day, every day - regardless of how well you slept the night before. Does this seem like a scary prospect? Well, this just highlights how out of hand yours currently is...
3. It could be worth trying some anxiety reduction and relaxation techniques. While mindfulness and anxiety reduction will not instantly send you to sleep, many of us still seem to expect it to. In reality, it's meant to help to cut our stress levels, and subsequently combat future issues. Think of it as being proactive - not reactive.
4. Consistency is key - you're not going to achieve results in one night, after all. You need your brain to accept that your new routine will be the one you stick to - until you achieve this, it will not act the way you want. We desire instant results, but it's likely that this will only confuse the brain if we go in, expecting this.
5. If you make mistakes, don't worry. Lifestyle changes will not happen unless you're able to learn to start again after bad times. However, if you do find you're not doing something right, you're less likely to stick to it.
6. If you do end up straying from the routine, don't be hard on yourself. Instead, try indulging yourself with a treat that makes yourself feel better - you go again tomorrow.