If your weekday dinners are getting a bit stagnant, then it might be time to mix it up and embrace some of spring's very best seasonal produce.
This month's star ingredient? Asparagus! Try this delicious frittata recipe for a quick and easy weekday meal.
Jersey Royal, brie & asparagus frittata
Total time:40 minutes, plus cooling
- 300g Waitrose & Partners Jersey Royal new potatoes
- 5 tsp olive oil
- 230g pack asparagus, trimmed and halved widthways
- 6 British Blacktail medium free-range eggs
- 1 onion, sliced
- ½ x 230g pack Somerset brie, sliced
1. In a large pan, cover the potatoes with cold water, bring to the boil and simmer for 12 minutes. Meanwhile, heat 1 tsp oil in a frying pan over a high heat. Fry the asparagus for 5 minutes, tossing regularly until charred; set aside. In a large bowl, season the eggs and beat together with a fork.
2. Heat another 2 tsp oil in the frying pan and fry the onion for 2-3 minutes. Drain the potatoes and rinse under cold water; cut into 0.3cm slices. Add to the pan with the onions; season and fry for 2-3 minutes until golden. Set aside.
3. Heat the remaining 2 tsp oil in a 20cm non-stick frying pan over a medium heat. Stir the veg into the eggs; tip ½ of the mixture into the pan, swirling so it sets on the base. Lay the brie on top, pour over the remaining egg mix, cover with a baking sheet and cook over a medium heat for 5-6 minutes.
4. Remove the sheet and place a plate over the pan. Carefully invert the pan so the frittata turns out onto the plate, then slide it back into the pan so the uncooked side is on the base. Cook for 5-6 minutes. Cool for 5 minutes, then serve.
Soft herbs, such as chives and tarragon, would be great in this frittata. Just add to the egg mixture.
Recipe courtesy of Waitrose. Thousands of recipes can be found at www.waitrose.com/recipes.