There's nothing better than sinking your teeth into a warm and toasted hot cross bun with lashings of butter!
If you fancy having a go at making these baked beauties, then check out Microplane's easy recipe below.
Hot Cross Buns
Makes 12 buns
- 70g butter
- 250ml milk
- 500g flour
- 10g dried yeast (1 1/2 sachets)
- 70g sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon mixed spice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
- zest of a lemon
- zest of an orange
- 50g raisins
- 60g mixed peel
- apple jelly
- 2-3 tablespoons flour and 2-3 tablespoons water
1. Melt the butter and add milk. Let it cool until lukewarm.
2. Put the flour, yeast, sugar, egg, spice, salt, vanilla paste in a mixing bowl. Zest the orange and lemon with your Microplane® Premium Classic Zester, then add the butter-milk mixture and knead into a fine dough. It should break away from the bowl edge. Cover the dough and set aside to prove for one hour.
3. Finely chop the mixed peel and mix with the raisins. Add the fruit to the dough and gently knead until it is evenly distributed. Form 12 small balls (like bread rolls) from the dough, and place on a baking tray lined with baking paper. Let them prove again for about 30-60 minutes. Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 170ºC.
4. For the topping, mix the flour and water into a paste and spoon into a piping bag. Just before baking, pipe two lines across each bun to form the cross. If you don't have a piping bag, you can use a freezer bag and cut off one of the bottom corners.
5. Bake in the oven for about 15-20 minutes until golden. While the buns are cooking, heat the apple jelly to loosen it and glaze the hot cross buns straight after baking. Cool before eating.