This 3D gallery wall DIY is a really sustainable and budget-friendly way to create a fun display for your child's bedroom. All you need are a few second-hand plastic dinosaur toys, some old frames, mounting card and Gorilla Super Glue Precise Gel.
- an assortment of dinosaur toys
- a clean cloth and soapy water
- primer spray paint
- gloss spray paint
- coloured mounting card boards
- Gorilla Super Glue Precise Gel
- Gorilla Heavy Duty Mounting Tape
1. Take each dinosaur toy and work out what you want part you want to ‘pop’ out of the frame and what you can get rid of from the back. You do not want your dinosaur to be too top-heavy, but if it is missing a leg it might look strange. Work out your cutting point and then slice it in two using a handsaw.
2. To make the frames less mismatched and more interesting, spray them all in a variety of bold colours. First of all, clean the frames by wiping them down in soapy water so they don’t have any dirt or grease on them, then once dry give them all two coats of primer in spray-paint form. Once the primer is dry, use small craft tins of gloss spray paint to add some colour. Give all the frames two coats, making sure the frames are covered in paint from each angle.
3. Once the frames are dry, create the mount to sit inside the frame. To create the mounts, purchase a couple of coloured mounting card boards from a craft supply shop. You need your mount to be strong and not bend as a thin piece of card will not take the weight of a plastic dinosaur. If your frame came with glass, you may wish to place a piece of coloured paper behind the glass and glue the dinosaur directly on top of the glass. Both the mounting card and glass options work well for this DIY.
4. To create the mount, measure the inside of the frame or draw around the glass that it came with. Then cut out the mount with scissors and make sure it fits the frame and can be easily inserted. Once you are happy with the mount size, apply a small amount of Gorilla Super Glue Precise Gel to the inside of the frame and stick the card down so it does not shift or move about inside the frame and is completely secure.
5. Once you are happy with what dinosaur suits a particular frame, apply Gorilla Super Glue Precise Gel to the thin rim of the dinosaur innard. As the application is so exact, you don’t have to worry about the glue spilling over the edges of the dinosaur and marking the mounting card. Carefully position the dinosaur front where you want it to sit in the middle of the frame and hold it in place for 10-45 seconds in order for the glue to adhere to each surface. Then allow the dinosaur art to cure for 24 hours until the glue has completely set.
6. The dinosaur art is now ready to hang as part of a gallery wall display! As the art is heavy and to prevent it falling off the wall you can apply Gorilla Heavy Duty Mounting Tape to the back of each of the frames. Gorilla Heavy Duty Mounting Tape provides a quick and easy solution to provide a strong and secure, permanent bond to a surface. Simply cut the tape to size with scissors, apply it to the back of the frame vertically, remove the protective liner then pressed the frame firmly on the wall for a few seconds to grip.
* Not recommended for use on polyethylene or polypropylene plastics.