- Mystic Moments melt and pour soap base, £7.40, Amazon
- chopping board
- saucepan and hob (or microwave)
- cosmetic fragrance
- loaf-shaped soap mould
- Ultramarine pink pigment powder, £5.95 per 25g bag, Amazon
1. Begin by removing the soap base from its packaging and cutting it into rough 2cm cubes using a knife. This will allow it to melt more quickly, easily and equally. Place one quarter of the cubes to one side, for use later on.
2. Melt the remaining three quarters of the soap base. This can be done in a microwave or on a hob – either directly, using a saucepan set on a very low heat, or using the double boiler method, in which the soap cubes are placed in a glass bowl or jug above a pan of boiling water. Add a few drops of fragrance, stirring occasionally to ensure the mix is melted.
3. In a separate bowl or pan, melt the remaining quarter of the soap base. Once completely liquified, add a dash of pigment to the soap, and gently mix. Turn back to the white soap base and pour it into the loaf mould. Transfer the coloured soap base into a jug and gently pour it into the mould, moving the jug from one side to the other to spread it evenly. Using a toothpick, gently marble the two colours together, taking care not to mix them too much. Allow to fully set, then remove from the mould and cut into pieces.