Fitness and food guru, Joe Wicks, shares his perfect breakfast… Green Turkish Eggs!
Fresh from his latest book, Veggie Lean in 15, Joe Wicks has revealed one of his favourite vegetarian breakfast recipes – Green Turkish Eggs!
Packed with protein and greeny goodness, these Green Turkish Eggs will definitely keep you on track for your healthy eating plans this month.
Green Turkish Eggs
- 1 tbsp coconut oil, plus a smidge
- 2 spring onions, finely sliced (green bits and all)
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 100g asparagus tips, each cut into three pieces
- 2 handfuls of kale, stalks removed
- salt and pepper
- handful of mint leaves
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 tbsp natural yoghurt
- 1 tbsp toasted almonds, roughly chopped
- crusty bread to serve (I like sourdough)
1. Bring a saucepan of water to the boil.
2. Meanwhile, melt 1 tablespoon coconut oil in a frying pan over a medium heat. Chuck in your spring onions, garlic and asparagus. Fry for 3 minutes until the asparagus is just tender, then stir in the kale along with a good pinch of salt and pepper. When wilted, turn down the heat to its lowest to keep the greens warm. Stir through the mint leaves.
3. Come back to your saucepan of boiling water. Turn down the heat until the water is just ‘burping’. Crack the eggs straight into the water. Poach for 3–4 minutes or until the white has set but the yolk is still runny, then carefully lift out with a slotted spoon and drain on kitchen roll.
4. While your eggs are poaching, melt a smidge more coconut oil in the microwave along with the paprika.
5. Smear the yoghurt onto your plate. Top with the pile of greens, then make a space and nestle in the poached eggs. Drizzle over the paprika ‘butter’ and scatter over the almonds. Serve with bread for dipping.
Veggie Lean in 15 by Joe Wicks is out now! To find more of Joe's recipes or to buy a copy, head to www.thebodycoach.com.
Joe Wicks image by Conor McDonnell
Recipe images by Maja Smend