Sherry lovers and discoverers rejoice, ‘tis the season to enjoy the infinite varieties of sherry wines from Jerez in southern Spain.
The white wine has dusted off its image and is at the top of the of the sophisticated wine lovers’ drinks list. Its versatility and range means there is a sherry for every Christmas occasion. Perfect as an aperitif chilled or over ice, a wonderful match to many Christmas foods and glorious as a digestif with the Christmas pud or cake, make it your festive favourite this season.
Sherry is born and aged in an area commonly known as the ‘Sherry Triangle’ marked by the cities of Jerez de la Frontera, El Puerto de Santa María and Sanlúcar de Barrameda. As most of the land in the sherry region was once covered by ocean, the majority of the soil is white. Known as albariza, it is rich in flint and calcium carbonate from the fossils of marine animals.
Some of our favourites:
Cream sherry is a sweet, velvety wine with a dark appearance. It’s the perfect way to start the festivities served on the rocks with an orange slice or to end the evening slightly chilled with cheese and figs for a delicious digestif.
Fino sherry is a dry white wine with hints of almonds and wild herbs and is a great partner for salmon, Spanish olives, cured meats and the Christmas ham. Why not try adding a splash of fino to your gin and tonic for an additional burst of flavour?
Manzanilla has distinctive floral notes and it is a wonderful complement to Christmas seafood and fish.
Sherry is a denomination of origin from Spain, that guarantees the origin and quality. Look for the distinctive ‘Vinos de Jerez’ or ‘Sherry Wine’ logo on the label to make sure you’re choosing sherry from the world’s finest wine growing region with a tradition of more than 3,000 years.
So what are you waiting for, become a sherry aficionado amongst your friends this Christmas. Follow London’s sherry trail and have a bottle chilled in the fridge ready to serve at your next gathering.
Sherry is widely available in the UK and examples include:
- Solear (Barbadillo), UK rrp: £7.29 available in Waitrose
- La Gitana, UK rrp £12.00 widely available
- La Guita, UK rrp £13.10 (75cl) available in Hanging Ditch Wine Merchants, The Whalley Wine Shop
- La Goya, UK rrp £6.99 available in Ultracomida, Spandeli, Chez Vin
- González Byass Tío Pepe Fino Sherry widely available in stockists including Waitrose RRP: £10
- Fernando de Castilla Antique Fino, UK rrp: £20-25.00 (50cl) available in Harrods, Hennings Wine Merchants, Woodwinters Wines & Whisikies
- La Ina Fino, Luis Caballero, UK rrp: £16.00. Available in Fortnum & Mason
- Fino Pando, Williams & Humbert, UK rrp: £12.99. Available in Speciality Drinks, Lewis & Cooper, Harrods, Fortnum & Mason, Direct Wines
- Harveys ‘The Bristol Cream’ is available to purchase from most supermarkets, RRP £10
- East India, Lustau, UK rrp: £22.95 Available in Berry Bros &Rudd, Ellis Wharton, The Whisky Exchange
- Cream Bertola, Díez Mérito, UK rrp: £15.50 available in Moreno Wines