Rustle up a hearty winter warmer this weekend with Dan Doherty's delicious chowder recipe…
Curried Smoked Haddock Chowder
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 400g smoked haddock, skinned and cut into 2cm cubes
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 1 carrot, finely diced
- 1 celery stick, finely diced
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into 2cm dice
- 1 green chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
- 1 tbsp curry powder
- ½ tsp ground cumin seeds
- ½ tsp turmeric
- ½ tsp ground coriander seeds
- 1 bay leaf
- 400ml chicken stock
- 200ml double cream
- Large pinch coriander, finely chopped
- Sea salt for seasoning
- Black pepper for seasoning
1. In a medium pan on a medium heat, add the olive oil, onions, carrot, celery, chilli and bay leaf, and sweat for 10-12 minutes taking care not to colour (pop a lid on and turn the heat down if they start to colour).
2. In the meantime, in a small frying pan on a low heat, gently toast the spices for a few minutes until they are aromatic, then set aside.
3. When the vegetables are soft, add the toasted spices and stir well.
4. Add the chicken stock and diced potatoes and bring to the boil. Simmer for 15 minutes until the potatoes are almost cooked.
5. Add the cream and bring to the boil.
6. Add the haddock and simmer for five minutes, then add the coriander and stir. Serve piping hot.