Want to jazz-up those weekday sandwiches? Try our delicious recipe for Teriyaki chicken sandwiches with sesame slaw…
Preparation time: 20 minutes, plus marinating
Cooking time: 15 minutes
- 6 chicken thigh fillets
- 6 tbsp Kikkoman Teriyaki Marinade & Sauce
- 100g red cabbage
- 100g white cabbage
- 4 salad onions
- 1 tbsp toasted sesame oil
- 2 tsp Japanese rice vinegar
- 4 tbsp sesame seeds, toasted
- 1 lime, zest
- 3 tbsp mayonnaise
- 1 red chilli, chopped (deseeded, if preferred)
- 1 large baguette, cut into 4 pieces and split in half
1. Toss the chicken and 3 tbsp teriyaki marinade in a bowl; set aside while you prepare the slaw (or marinate for up to 2 hours in the fridge). Finely shred both cabbages and finely slice the salad onions. Toss in a bowl with the sesame oil and vinegar, then season and set aside.
2. Preheat the grill to high (240°C). Grill the chicken with its marinade on a foil-lined baking tray for 5 minutes on each side, until there is no pink meat and the juices run clear. Tip any juices into a small pan, along with the remaining 3 tbsp teriyaki marinade, and simmer gently until sticky. Brush over the chicken, then sprinkle with the sesame seeds.
3. Mix the lime zest, mayonnaise and chilli; season and spread on the baguette pieces. Halve the chicken thighs and divide between the bottom halves of the baguette. Pour over any remaining sauce from the pan, then add mounds of slaw and the bread tops.
You could also turn this into a salad – take out the baguette and add sliced avocado, red peppers and shredded carrot.
Recipe courtesy of Waitrose. To find thousands of recipes, head to www.waitrose.com/recipes.