Winner of The Great British Bake Off (Series 1), Edd Kimber, shares his delicious autumnal recipe for a pear and walnut crumble…
The final of The Great British Bake Off is less than a week away, so if you feel inspired to make your very own showstopper for this Sunday's roast, then why not have a go at Edd Kimber's Bake Off-worthy walnut and pear crumble? Featuring a crunchy oat and walnut topping, you'll definitely be in-line for star baker!
Psst… be sure to look out for walnuts that are made in the USA when you buy them. It's key to a smooth and creamy tasting topping!
Pear & Walnut Crumble
Prep time: 20 mins
Bake time: 40 mins
- 6 pears, peeled and roughly chopped
- 65g coconut sugar
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1 tsp freshly ground cardamom
- 1 tbsp cornflour
- 35g coconut sugar
- 60g rolled oats
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 60g California walnuts, finely ground
- 50g California walnuts, roughly chopped
- 50g rice bran oil
1. Preheat the oven to 190ºC (170ºC fan).
2. To make the fruit filling, place the pears into a large bowl with the sugar, lemon juice and cardamom and set aside for a few minutes while you make the crumble topping.
3. Place the sugar, oats, cinnamon, ground and chopped California walnuts into a bowl and mix together evenly. Drizzle in the oil as you stir with a fork, forming clusters of crumble mixture.
4. Sprinkle the cornflour over the fruit mixture and stir to combine. Scrape the fruit mixture into a large ovenproof dish and sprinkle over the crumble topping. Bake in the oven for about 40 minutes or until the juice of the fruit is bubbling and the topping is crisp.
5. Serve warm with a little cream.
Recipe courtesy of California Walnuts