Have you ever gone out and then had to come back to check whether you've left an appliance on?
If so, you're not alone, as it was revealed 38% of people are putting their home at risk by leaving potentially hazardous appliances switched on as they dash out.
The study, conducted by Lightwave, found Brits should slow down and double-check the state they leave their homes in when they head out, as it was found 49% of people end up panicking or worrying about having left a hazardous item, such as the hob, an iron or a tap, switched on after leaving.
While some of us charge around frantically double-checking before we go, 46% of Brits have said they leave the windows unlocked, while 23% will leave them physically open after leaving the house unattended.
The most commonly left on appliances are:
1. Hair straighteners (27%)
2. Oven (11%)
3. Tap (10%)
4. Iron (6%)
5. Hob (4%)
To get around this, 30% of anxious Brits will call on a friend to check their windows and doors are shut properly. However, 10% of Brits end up facing more severe consequences, having to change their plans after missing out on a plane, train or bus as they have left items switched on and had to go and check.
The worst-affected age group are 18-24 year olds, with 22% missing an important form of public transport due to this.
Leaving hair straighteners switched on can pose a fire risk, as they can reach a temperature that exceeds that of a deep fat-fryer - this is a risk if there isn't an 'automatic switch-off' function.
On top of the fire and flood-damage risks, being concerned about burglaries are also high. The risk would be counteracted by leaving lights on a timer or the curtains open or closed, to deter thefts.