These tasty treats are nutty, moist and oh so creamy! Try after dinner when you fancy a little something sweet, or pop one in your lunchbox for a cheeky afternoon tea.
Preparation time: 25 mins
- 170g vacuum-packed cooked beetroot
- 2 eggs
- 140ml walnut oil
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 170g plain flour
- 1½ tsp baking powder
- 3 tbsp cocoa powder
- Pinch of salt
- 70g soft brown sugar
- 100g golden caster sugar
- 3 tbsp chopped California walnuts
For the caramelised California walnuts:
- 60g white caster sugar
- 1 ½ tbsp liquid glucose
- 12 California walnut halves
For the cream cheese icing:
- 125g butter
- 125g cream cheese
- Splash of milk
- 250g icing sugar
1. Preheat the oven to 180°.
2. Place the beetroot, eggs, walnut oil and vanilla essence into a blender and blitz until smooth.
3. Sift together the flour, baking powder, cocoa powder, salt, brown sugar and golden caster sugar into a large bowl.
4. Mix the wet ingredients into the dry with an electric hand whisk until fully combined. Stir the California walnuts into the batter.
5. Line a 12-hole muffin tray with cupcake cases and divide the cake batter equally. Bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes or until risen and cooked through, then leave aside to cool.
6. Place the white caster sugar and liquid glucose into a small pan over a medium heat, swirling the pan from time to time until the sugar liquefies and turns a lovely golden caramel colour.
7. Carefully dip the California walnut halves into the caramel, removing them individually with a spoon, and placing them on a sheet of baking parchment making sure they are separated. Leave aside to cool down.
8. To make the icing, place the butter into a large mixing bowl and whisk with an electric whisk until white and fluffy. Add the icing sugar, cream cheese and milk and whisk until just combined.
9. Fit a piping bag with a large open nozzle and pipe a circle of icing on the top of each cupcake. Top with a caramel-coated California walnut to serve.
Recipe courtesy of California Walnuts