Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 40 minutes
You will need:
- 3 red bell peppers, deseeded and finely diced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 large carrot, finely diced
- 1 red chilli, deseeded and diced
- 2 sprigs rosemary, leaves picked and finely chopped
- 5 sprigs thyme, leaves picked
- 100g split red lentils
- 500ml vegetable stock
- 80g mixed nuts roughly chopped
- 1/2 tbsp soya spread
1. Heat the oil in a large saucepan set over a medium heat, add the onion, garlic, peppers and carrot and cook for 10 minutes until the vegetables have softened.
2. Stir in the chilli, ¾ rosemary and ¾ thyme, lentils, stock, 200ml water and bring to a gentle simmer. Cover and cook for 25 minutes until the vegetables and lentils are tender.
3. Meanwhile preheat the oven to 180°C, gas mark 4.
4. Tip the nuts onto an ovenproof tray and roast in the oven for 8-10 minutes, until light golden. Remove from the oven and stir in the spread and remaining herbs. Season well and return to the oven for 2-4 minutes until golden.
5. Divide the soup among 4 bowls, scatter over the nuts and serve.
For more pepper recipes, visit www.itspeppertime.co.uk.