Now that the weather is slowly starting to heat up, our gardens will be full with all sorts of wildlife that will fascinate and delight any little explorers. To get the kids into the garden, Wickes have created this easy step-by-step guide for building your own birdhouse. What better way for kids to make the most of the longer, warmer days than by getting involved with garden crafts?
1. First of all, start off by cutting the planks of wood into the following sections:
a) two side panels: 144mm x 250mm side one, 144 x 300mm side two
b) front panel: 144mm x 200mm
c) roof panel: 144mm x 210mm
d) base: 144mm x 120mm
e) back: 144mm x 350mm
2. Next, use the power drill to drill a 35mm entrance hole in the centre of the front panel.
3. After that, nail the side panels to the base panel, followed by nailing the back panel to the side and base panels using the galvanised nails. You can keep the whole structure stable while nailing by using a workbench.
4. After the side and back panels are attached, secure the front panel in place using the galvanised nails.
5. You can allow your roof panel to open with a hinge, by hammering a piece of bicycle wheel inner tubing or leather to the back panel using the tacks.
6. Finally, apply linseed oil to the exterior of the birdhouse to protect it from the elements, or add some colour with a coat of outdoor paint.
Information courtesy of Wickes