We caught up with Michelin-star chef Simon Rogan to hear all about his limited edition snacks. We also get a sneak peak into his 2016 plans!
1. Where do you get your inspiration from?
For the Graze X Simon Rogan project, we took inspiration from our menus across the different restaurants, there’s a snack there that has taken elements of my dish from Great British Menu too. We tried lots of ideas and combinations - graze has an amazing selection of snacks - over 1000 recipes so there was lots to experiment with.
2. What do you love most about cooking?
Trying new things. Eating! The creativity, which is limitless and the freedom. I like to do things differently, find new ingredients we can discover, it’s very exciting and keeps me happy.
3. What is your favourite dish to cook?
To be honest, I don’t get a lot of time for cooking at home but when I do, I really love lunch with family - a good old roast!
4. What’s your favourite Graze snack selection?
The salt and vinegar chicken skin popcorn is my favourite, it tastes amazing and something you don’t want to put down. It would be perfect with a nice cold beer.
5. What would be your advice to someone experimenting in the kitchen?
More often than not, keep it simple - have an idea in your head, try to not overdo it.
The internet is obviously great for recipes and food inspiration - look around on the web, look at pictures of food - go on new tangents, experiment and do things differently.
6. What do you think 2016 has in store for you?
There will be a new restaurant I’m sure, we’re always very careful about how anything we open will sit with the other restaurants that we have. It could be something international, you never know. It’s important to us to keep the brand in keeping and be protective of it.
We’re also ensuring we’re getting our teams and structure right so we’re in a position to expand when the right proposition comes along.
Combining techniques from the kitchen at Fera, Simon has created four unique Michelin-star inspired snacks in a graze punnet.
The luxurious graze X Simon Rogan snack boxes will include four exclusive recipes:
1. Grilled salad: cartmel-farmed cauliflower, kale, freeze-dried Isle of Mull cheddar, garlic, chilli and sunflower seeds
2. West Coast of Scotland lobster and horseradish styrofoam: lobster puffs, horseradish styrofoam, beetroot, apple and tarragon
3. Salt and vinegar British corn-fed chicken popcorn: crispy chicken skin with salt and vinegar half popped corn
4. Mascarpone, raspberry and hazelnut biscuit : freeze-dried mascarpone, raspberry strings, pear, hand-picked sweet cicely and hazelnut biscuit.
There are only 100 graze X Simon Rogan #futureofsnacking limited edition snack boxes available. To be in with a chance of winning a box, please visit www.graze.com/simonrogan from 12th November - 22nd November 2015 to enter the ballot.